Have you looked at your calendar today? Yes, we know that 11.11.11 will only come around once in a millennium, but did you notice the other thing preprinted inside the date square? Veterans Day: a day set aside every year to honor and acknowledge those who have served our country and preserved our freedom through their personal sacrifices and lifetimes of service. We are truly grateful to these men and women, so we wanted to share our 11 ideas for how we can all express our appreciation today:
* Take a moment of reflection in silence at precisely 11:00 a.m., the same time as the Veterans Day National Ceremony starts at the Tomb of the Unknowns in Arlington National Cemetery.
* View this video.
* Visit a local cemetery and place a memorial wreath at a veteran’s place of rest.
* Bake cookies and deliver them to the VA.
* Visit the VA and ask how you can volunteer.
* Many communities and schools host a Veterans Day celebration, service or parade—check local calendars for listings.
* Make a donation to VetDogs—an organization that uses guide dogs, service dogs, and innovative technology to help disabled veterans once again live the lives they used to.
* Host a cookout and ask your guests to bring a book to donate to the VA.
* Send a card or care package to a deployed soldier, thanking him or her for their service. Two great ones are www.givetothetroops.org and www.amillionthanks.org.
* Honor the service of our military families and veterans with community service of your own.
* Create a Butterfly Tree with your family and friends.
How will you honor our veterans this year?